Dairy Free Victoria Sponge Cake
I made this cake for the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee celebrations, but it makes a delicious dairy free treat that all the family can enjoy at any time of year!
• 250g (8 oz) Pure Dairy Free soya spread at room temperature
• 225g (71/2 oz) golden caster sugar
• 4 large free range eggs
• 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
• 250g (8 oz) self raising flour
• 2 tbsp strawberry jam
• 250g (8 oz) icing sugar sifted, plus extra for dusting
• 50g (2 oz) Pure Dairy Free soya spread at room temperature
• ½ teaspoon vanilla essence
• 25ml (1 fl oz) water
Baking time 25 minutes
1) Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F), Gas mark 4, and grease and line the bottoms of two 20cm loose-bottomed cake tins. Cream the butter until light and fluffy, then beat in the caster sugar until just combined. Beat in the eggs one at a time, followed by the vanilla essence. Gently fold in the flour, being careful not to overwork the mixture.
2) Divide the mixture between the tins and bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes until a skewer inserted into the cakes comes out clean. Leave the cakes to cool before releasing from the tins.
3) To make the buttercream, place the icing sugar in a large mixing bowl and beat in the butter, vanilla and then the measured water to make a creamy icing. Once the cakes are cooled, sandwich together with buttercream and a layer of strawberry jam. Dust the top of the cake with icing sugar before serving.
4) For a special Jubilee touch, I added a Royal cake topper from TFL for a traditional Victoria Sponge endorsed by Her Majesty!